Securing your accounts and devices
A critical part of a good e-Safety plan is making sure that your devices and your email accounts, social networking and any other online accounts are secure so only you can access them.
Top tips for securing your accounts and devices
- If necessary, set up a new email account that only you can access. Use this email account for things you want to keep private, like safety planning.
- Set strong passwords that are hard to guess. Do the same for PINs and passcodes, and change them frequently and do not share them with anyone.
- Don’t use the same password, PIN or passcode for more than one account.
- Install anti-virus and internet security software and keep it up-to-date.
- Keep your operating systems up-to-date, and install all updates to the software and apps that you use on your devices.
- Secure your wireless internet connection – use a strong password for your router and enable network encryption.
- Keep a close eye on your portable devices – take extra care so they are not lost or stolen and, when possible, limit other people’s access to them.
- Strengthen the privacy settings on your social media accounts to make sure that the only people who can see the content you post are the people you choose.
- Sign out of email and social media accounts once you have finished using them rather than just closing the page or browser.
- Don’t open suspicious links or attachments as they can contain viruses and malware.