What is Online Abuse???
Online abuse covers a range of behaviors that people use to control, frighten or humiliate another person using technology.
These abusive behaviors include using social media, games or other forums to make:
- abusive, degrading or hateful comments about a person
- threats of physical or sexual violence to a person
- repeated or unwanted sexual requests to a person.
Abusive behaviours also include:
- constantly checking on a person through their social media activity.
- hacking into a person’s email or social media account to discover information about them or to impersonate them
- setting up fake social media accounts in another person’s name
- sharing, or threatening to share, intimate pictures of a person.
- spreading lies or malicious rumours about a person.
Women are particularly likely to experience online abuse in the form of sexual harassment or offensive or degrading comments about their gender.